tiempo
usa1 argentinaflag

Click the sun to see the
weather in Buenos Aires!

Puerto Madryn
Argentina-Puerto Madryn Location1

Puerto Madryn Argentina
October 2003!

A visit to Puerto Madryn in the province of Chubut in Argentine Patagonia. It has about 57,571 inhabitants according to the last census in 2001.

Puerto Madryn is protected by the Golfo Nuevo, which is formed by the Península Valdés and the Punta Ninfas. You can visit there in the spring to see the whales, penguins and sea lions reproducing and giving birth. Depending on which wild life you want to see the most, you can go at different times as sometimes the penguins are more active and other times the whales are more active.

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-002-PeteRonPuntaTomboSign1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-017-armadillo1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-012-prariepenguin1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-020-llamas1

The guanaco (Lama guanicoe) is a camelid native to South America that stands between 1 and 1.2 metres (3 ft 3 in and 3 ft 11 in) at the shoulder and weighs about 90 kg (200 lb). The colour varies very little (unlike the domestic llama), ranging from a light brown to dark cinnamon and shading to white underneath. Guanacos have grey faces and small straight ears. The name guanaco comes from the South American language Quechua word wanaku (old spelling, huanaco). Young guanacos are called chulengo(s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanaco

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-022-Pete-Desserts1

This was a tea house we stopped at on the tour. No dulce de leche in sight! These desserts were really Welsh and like nothing else I’ve had in Argentina, you would think you were in Europe!

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-027-dinosaurs
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-033-rabbit1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-040-boardingboat1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-005-penguin1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-021-Pete-Trelew-TeaHouse

Trelew is a Welsh community and is home to the Museum of Paleontology Egidio Feruglio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Paleontology_Egidio_Feruglio , showcasing the paleontological heritage of the Patagonic region, and considered one of the most important of its kind in South America and the Astronomic and Planetary Observatory.

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-023-RonYellowFlowers
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-070-museumspiralstaircase1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-036-elephantSeals
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-041-whaletail1

They had a tractor to pull the boat in so we could get on it to visit the whales. The right whales are very curious and they like to come right up to the boat and “play” with you, because of this we heard to get in a large boat, and not a small zodiac, as the whales like to flip them over to play with you!

Right whales are three species of large baleen whales of the genus Eubalaena. The most distinguishing feature of a right whale is the rough patches of skin on its head which appear white due to parasitism by whale lice. Right whales can grow up to more than 18 m (59 ft) long with the maximum record of 19.8 m (65 ft) weigh up to 100 short tons (91 t; 89 long tons), significantly larger than other coastal species such as humpbacks, grays, or bryde's, but smaller than blues.

Right whales were a preferred target for whalers because of their docile nature, their slow surface-skimming feeding behaviors, their tendencies to stay close to the coast, and their high blubber content (which makes them float when they are killed, and which produced high yields of whale oil).

A popular explanation for the name "right whales" is that they were the "right" ones to hunt,[14] as they float when killed and often swim within sight of shore. They are quite docile, and do not tend to shy away from approaching boats. As such, they were hunted nearly to extinction during the active years of the whaling industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_whale

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-044-whale1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-139-whale

They were enormous and they would poke their head up out of the water and look at you, you could see their huge eye moving around as it looked at you, VERY COOL!

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-099-penguinroosting

The penguins were very quiet and docile as they had finished the mating season and the chicks were already quite large.

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-109-windycoast
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-112-RonSeals1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-120-Ron1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-048-whalehead1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-058-TractorTowingBoat1

The tractor would then pull the boat back onto the beach, I guess it's cheaper then building a dock!

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-092-penguins
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-105-penguinmarch1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-114-RonCoast1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-030-Pete-lookout-point1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-117-Ronsandstonecoast1
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-158-poem1

Saw this on a rock, thought it was very sweet, roughly translated:

When I met you
I was afraid to look at you
When I looked at you
I was afraid to kiss you
When I kissed you
I was afraid to love you
And now that I love you
I'm afraid of losing you

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-146-Ronbeers
PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-159-PuertoMadrynCoast1

A cold beer and snacks is always nice after a day of hiking!

PuertoMadryn-Oct-2003-074-PuertoMadrynFromAIr1

A very interesting place to visit!